RN to BSN Program
The RN to BSN program is designed for registered nurses with an associate’s degree or diploma in nursing who are looking to further their education. The RN-BSN program provides the academic knowledge and skills necessary to advance in the nursing field by seeking a higher level position and/or to apply for graduate study in nursing. The RN to BSN option allows an RN with an Associate’s degree in nursing to earn a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in nursing. While the program is primary taught utilizing an online format, it also includes a limited amount of clinical work.
- Exhibit ethical principles that demonstrate interactions with patients/clients, healthcare professionals, and the public
- Combine knowledge from nursing, sciences, and humanities to meet the patient’s/client’s physiological, psychological, sociocultural, developmental, and spiritual needs
- Evaluate ethical, legal, economic, and political factors that affect the management of healthcare for individuals, families, and communities
- Incorporate community resources to meet primary, secondary, and tertiary healthcare needs for individuals, families, and communities
- Utilize critical thinking to resolve healthcare issues
- Be prepared for a leadership role within one’s scope of practice
- Evaluate research findings for use in nursing practice
- Utilize effective communication in the healthcare environment
- Participate in activities that support the profession of nursing
Credit by Examination for RN to BSN Program
- Students in the RN to BSN program may earn credit in approved courses by earning “C” or better on the appropriate Medical prep Institute of Tampa Bay examination offered on Baccalaureate level through ATI, NLN OR HESI platforms for the following subjects.
- Pharmacology – NUR 303
- Pathophysiology for Nursing – NUR 302
- Management in Nursing Examination – NURS 402
- Baccalaureate Capstone Examination – NUR 404
Students wishing to obtain credit by examination must demonstrate satisfactory completion of core nursing courses ( i.e. Fundamentals , pharmacology and medical surgical nursing) related to the subject matter areas of Medical prep Institute of Tampa bay ’s curriculum and will be required to complete competency testing prior to receiving credit. The Student must see the campus registrar for additional information on requirements and costs.
- Credit awarded by examination becomes part of the student’s permanent record, and the grade earned on the examination is used in calculating students’ cumulative GPAs.
- A student must obtain approval from the appropriate campus Academic Dean to take credit-by-examination.
- In addition to a $50 non-refundable examination fee, a student who passes the examination will be required to pay a per-credit hour processing fee.
- A student may obtain the required forms and additional information through the appropriate campus the Registrar.
- A student is not eligible to attempt credit-by examination for any courses in which the student is currently enrolled.
- A student who has completed a course and earned a grade of “D” or “F” is eligible to repeat it through credit-by-examination.
- Grades for courses repeated through credit-by-examination are recorded in the same way as courses repeated through class attendance.
- If a student has applied to graduate at the end of the term and intends to take one or more courses through credit-by-examination, that student must notify the registrar.
Online Degree Completion Program admission requirements:
- Minimum grade of C in all Nursing courses from any previous nursing education.
- Students must complete a computer use assessment form. Students will be able to access modules online at course webs and/or sycamore campus with a User ID and Password issued by Medical prep Institute of Tampa bay
The student receives a Bachelor Degree of Science in Nursing once all program competencies and objectives are fulfilled and the required basic skills have been demonstrated.
The Associate of Science in Nursing program is delivered using a combination of residential (on campus), distance learning (online), and hybrid learning (on campus & online) courses.
Full Time: 140.5 credits (46 credits +transfer credits 94.5 credits)
Part Time: 140.5 credits (46+transfer credits 94.5 credits)
Clock Hours: 2760
|Course Number||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|ENC 1101 *||English Composition I||3|
|ENC 1102*||English Literature and Composition II||3|
|MAC 1105 *||College Algebra Math||3|
|HUM 1100 *||Cultural Diversity and Elementary Logic||3|
|AMH 1020 *||Modern American History||3|
|PSY 1012 *||Principles of Psychology||3|
|PSY 3000 *||Social Psychology||3|
|PSY 3301 *||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|PSY 3625 *||ISociological Aspects of Aging||3|
|PSY 3204 *||Psychological Aspects of Statistics||3|
|HIS 4936 *||Special Topics in History||3|
|HCC 101||Basic Health Care Worker||4.5|
|BSC 108||Anatomy and Physiology I||3|
|MCB 200||Elements of Microbiology and Lab||4|
|NUR 110||Nursing Care: Pharmacology and Lab||4.5|
|NUR 111||Nursing Care: Pharmacology Math||1|
|BSC 109||Anatomy and Physiology II and Lab||4|
|BSC 102||Health and Nutrition through the life Span||3|
|NUR 200||Transition to Registered Nursing||2|
|NUR 220||Nursing Care: Fundamentals of Nursing||6.5|
|NUR 230||Community Nursing||3|
|NUR 240||Advanced Medical Surgical Nursing and Lab||8|
|NUR 241||Nursing Care: Maternity and Pediatric Nursing and lab||5|
|NUR 242||Nursing Care: Mental Health Nursing||2|
|NUR 243||Management and Leadership in Nursing||3|
|NUR 250||Clinical Competencies in Nursing and Examination I||6|
|NUR 251||Clinical Competencies in Nursing II||6|
|TRANSITION MODULE TOTAL OF 6 CREDITS|
|NUR 301||Educational Transitions for Nursing||3|
|NUR 304||Ethical/Legal Aspects of Nursing||3|
|PHYSICAL ASSESSMENT MODULE TOTAL OF 6 CREDITS|
|NUR 305||Physical Exam & Assessment and Lab||4|
|NUR 306||Preceptor Guided Health Assessment Clinical and Examination||3|
|PHARMACOLOGY MODULE TOTAL OF 3 CREDITS|
|NUR 303||Pharmacology in Nursing||3|
|PATHOPHYSIOLOGY FOR NURSING MODULE 3 CREDITS|
|NUR 302||Pathophysiology for Nursing||3|
|Elective (any 300-400 level courses) TOTAL 9CREDTIS|
|NUR 401||Preceptor Guided Community Nursing Clinical and Examination||3|
|NUR 400||Community/Public Health Nursing||3|
|MANAGEMENT MODULE TOTAL OF 6 CREDITS|
|NUR 402||Leadership and Management in Nursing||3|
|NUR 403||Management in Nursing Examination||3|
|NUR 404||Baccalaureate Capstone Examination||3|
|NUR 405||Nursing Research and Inquiry||3|
|Total Program Credit Hours (includes theory and clinical/lab hours)||140.5|